Policy experts to host discussions about the economy, ways to support working families
WHAT: “Building a Stronger North Carolina” community conversation events
WHO: Budget & Tax Center, United Way of North Carolina
WHERE: Forsyth, Buncombe, Catawba, New Hanover, Orange, Pitt and Wake Counties
WHEN: November 27, 2012 – January 10, 2013
RALEIGH (October 31, 2012) – North Carolina citizens can help write the next chapter in the story of North Carolina’s economy and the state budget.
Communities across the state will play host to community conversation events entitled “Building a Stronger North Carolina,” led by staff from the Budget & Tax Center – a project of the NC Justice Center – and United Way of North Carolina. Through these interactive sessions, members of the community will have the opportunity to respond to critical questions regarding key legislation and learn about ways to get engaged in issues that will affect the future of the state.
They will discuss top issues in state public policy, including:
- The impact of current economic conditions on working families and the state budget
- Updates on key policy solutions that support low-income workers and their families, such as a balanced approach to the budget and the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- How the state budget directly affected areas such as education, health care and financial stability
Presentations will be held in communities across the state.
- New Hanover County. Tuesday, November 27, 9:30 a.m. New Hanover County Executive Development Center, 1241 Military Cutoff Road, Wilmington, NC 28405
- Mecklenburg County. Monday, December 3, 2:00 p.m. United Way of Central Carolinas, 301 S. Brevard Street, Charlotte, NC.
- Catawba County. Tuesday, December 4, 9:00 a.m. Catawba County Community College, 2550 US Highway 70 SE, Hickory, NC
- Orange County. Wednesday, December 5, 9:00 a.m. Southern Human Services Center, 2501 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill, NC
- Buncombe County. Tuesday, December 11. 1459 Sand Hill Drive, AB Tech Enka Campus’ Haynes Building, Candler, NC 28715
- Guilford and Forsyth County. January 9, 9:00 a.m. 8818 West Market St., Girl Scouts’ Carolinas Peaks2Piedmont Triad Service Center, Colfax, NC 27235
- Wake County. January 10, 3:00 p.m. NCAE, 700 South Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC.
An additional event will be held in Pitt County. More details are available at this link. Journalists are also invited to attend. Experts will be available for media interviews.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Alexandra Forter Sirota, Director, Budget & Tax Center, 919.861.1468; Jill Cox, United Way of North Carolina, 919-215-4341 (cell) ; Jeff Shaw, Director of Communications, NC Justice Center, 503.551.3615 (cell)