LEGISLATIVE BULLETIN, March 9, 2009
By Adam Searing and Adam Linker, Health Access Coalition
- STATE HEALTH PLAN REFORMS MUST be balanced and not make coverage unaffordable for state workers and their families.
- AN INDEPENDENT AUDIT of State Health Plan administrator Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is required to investigate possible overcharges.
- LEGISLATORS SHOULD REQUIRE nonprofit Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina to realize greater savings and help cover cash shortages at the State Health Plan.
- LEGISLATORS SHOULD NOT SPEND MONEY to institute invasive programs such as smoking and
obesity restrictions when actuaries have not projected any cost savings for these measures.
- LEGISLATORS SHOULD ESTABLISH a Blue Ribbon Commission of independent experts to examine long-term
solutions for containing costs and maintaining the financial viability of the State Health Plan to report to the General Assembly next year.