Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
On June 15, 2012, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that it will not deport young people from the U.S. who meet certain requirements. Those who qualify will be given “deferred action” and will be eligible for work authorization.
Who is eligible?
An individual must prove they meet the following criteria:
- came to the United States under the age of 16;
- has continuously resided in the United States for a least 5 years before June 15, 2012 and was present in the United States on June 15, 2012;
- is currently in school, has graduated from high school, has obtained a GED certificate, or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
- has not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise poses a threat to national security or public safety; and
- was under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012.
How do I apply?
The North Carolina Justice Center strongly believes that everyone who applies for Deferred Action needs and deserves assistance from an immigration attorney or BIA accredited representative before submitting their application.
You can also email email@example.com or call/text (919) 675-2409 to reach us.
Get text alerts on your phone about Deferred Action in NC. Text "follow DACANCJC" to 40404 in the United States. Standard messaging rates apply.
How do I get involved?
We need volunteers and community partners to make our Deferred Action work across North Carolina a success. For more information (or to get involved), complete the online form at http://bit.ly/DACAinNC.
We encourage you to review and share the Do's and Don't's document, "Avoiding Unauthorized Practice of Law While Assisting Immigration Applicants."
For a complete factsheet on deferred action, click on a link below:
Korean: 서류미비 청년들의 추방 유예 및 노동허가서
Vietnamese: HÀNH ĐỘNG TRÌ HOÃN CHO NGƯỜI ĐẾN LÚC CÒN THƠ ẤU
|Spanish - Espanol: ACCIÓN DIFERIDA PARA JOVENES INMIGRANTES||129.23 KB|
|NCJC Deferred Action factsheet.pdf||32.22 KB|
|NCJC Deferred Action factsheet Chinese.pdf||186.55 KB|
|NCJC Deferred Action factsheet Korean.pdf||354.83 KB|
|NCJC Deferred Action factsheet Vietnamese.pdf||248.07 KB|